Things to Consider When Treating Your Pet With CBD
When it comes to medicating your pets, finding the right dosage is crucial.
CBD is a powerful compound that shows a lot of promise in helping dogs, cats, and other pets deal with a vast variety of ailments.
However, finding the right dosage with CBD can be tricky.
A lot of different factors can influence the exact dose of CBD your pet needs. We will be discussing dogs, but the same is true for cats.
One of the main factors influencing dosage with CBD products is the type of product you use. The brand would also be something to consider.
CBD products for pets are typically available in three forms:
Another major factor influencing dosage is your pet’s size. Larger dogs require more CBD.
High quality products will actually supply their own dosage charts which are specific to their products. They will have a specific formula for their products based on the weight of your dog.
Lastly, also remember that your dog’s ailment can also affect how much CBD they should be taking.
Pet CBD Dosage Basics
CBD comes in 3 forms and the dosage will depend on the type of CBD product you are giving your pet.
- CBD Oil. In general, CBD oils are often administered in drops. We prefer measuring by the mL as drop sizes can vary depending on the dropper and contents. For instance, some products indicate that 20 drops are equal to 1mL while others can be as high as 60. Restart CBD with MCT oil generally has 40 drops per mL.
- The amount needed for a dose can also vary from one product to another, but generally consist of 2-20mg of CBD taken 1-2 times daily. Remember: Your pet can not overdose on too much CBD. You can also adjust the dosage given the size of your pet and depending on their condition.
- CBD capsules, usually contain between 5-20mg of CBD each. The exact number of capsules needed for a dose vary from one product to another, but generally consist of roughly 1 tablet taken 1-2 times per day.
- CBD dog treats can contain varying concentrations of CBD, and should be given to your pet as per the package instructions.
- Follow the dosing instructions that come with the product
- See how your dog responds
- Adjust the dose as needed
Remember that you may need to adjust the dosages depending on your dog’s ailment and condition. If you are concerned, work with your vet to find the ideal dosage for your dog.
Dosing With CBD Oil
RESTART Restore Pet CBD is available in 150mg (30ml), 300mg (60ml), and 600mg (120ml) bottles. Here are the basic dosage guidelines for this product:
For small dogs (under 25lbs):
- Use up to 1/2mL (up to 2.5mg CBD) once or twice a day.
For medium dogs (25lbs – 75lbs):
- Use 1/2mL to 1mL (2.5mg – 5mg) once or twice a day.
- Use 1mL to 2mL (5-10mg CBD) once or twice a day.
Remember: Dosages will vary per pet and their needs. Start small and work your way up to the desired amount.
For more precise dosing: Serving Size = .25mg x 1lb of body-weight.
If you have a small dog under 20lbs, you need less CBD, or a less potent oil. The 150mg RESTART PET CBD is perfect for a small pet.
For example, if you have a pet who weighs 6 pounds, here is the formula for a standard dose:
- 6lbs X 0.25mg = 1.5mg CBD
- Serving Size: Approximated 1/3 mL
Now, if you have a larger pet, you can use the 300mg or 600mg bottles. The potency is the same but the bottle sizes are larger so they will last longer.
In this example the standard dose formula would be:
- 40lbs X 0.25mg = 10 mg
- 1 dropper = 1 mL (5mg CBD)
- Serving Size: 2ml (10mg CBD)
Calculations are based on 150mg CBD per 30mL bottle.
How to Give Your Dog CBD Oil
CBD oil should be administered directly into your pet’s mouth, ideally under their tongue. However, as I’m sure you know, dog’s aren’t too keen on taking medicine, so this can be a little tricky for some.
Be patient and remember that your pet may even get used to the routine of taking their CBD oil. Many pet owners have told me that their dogs love licking it up.
If you’re having trouble administering the liquid, try rewarding your dog with his/her favorite treat after taking their meds. CBD can also be added to your pets food.
You may also consider CBD capsules or CBD Treats, which are available in a variety of flavors or add to your pet’s food.
CBD Capsules for Dogs
The formulation for dosing with capsules will be the same as dosing with CBD oil. Capsules may be little easier to administer than CBD oil.
You can either open the capsule and mix its contents with your pet’s regular food or wrap the entire capsule in a treat or pill pocket.
Either way, just make sure your pet receives the entire contents of the capsule to ensure a proper dose.
Dosage With CBD Treats
Can My Dog Take Too Much CBD?
CBD is a non-psychoactive compound. This means it won’t make your pet “high.”
Numerous studies have shown that CBD is a very well-tolerated compound, even in high doses. In fact, CBD has no known toxic level and is considered incapable of causing an “overdose.”
Choosing the Right Product (Oil, Capsules, Or Treats)
Many pet owners struggle to decide which product to use for their pet.
We generally recommend using CBD oil whenever possible. However, if your dog is a bit of a picky eater and sensitive to strong tastes, you may find better results using CBD Oils made from isolate to avoid a bitter, hempy taste or use capsules or treats.
When administered under the tongue, CBD oil offers the fastest relief from symptoms.
When adding CBD to your pet’s food, or as capsules and treats, they need to pass through the digestive tract, and can take at least 45 minutes to take effect.
Final Thoughts on Dosage Recommendations
Remember, these are only basic guidelines and may change depending on the size of your pet, their condition, and the type/brand of product you use.
Start small and work your way up and remember that CBD is a non-toxic compound and cannot cause an overdose.
CBD Dosage Checklist for Pets
- Dosage depends on the type of product
- Follow instructions on the label
- The size of your pet matters
- Your pet’s ailments matter
- CBD is a non-pschoactive compound
- Don’t worry about giving your pet too much
- Buy CBD for pets from a reputable brand